Hi everyone! I wanted to do a post dedicated to my hair journey so far. As a kid I had wavy/straight hair with a bowl cut or two along the way.The texture switched over to curly somewhere in high school but I never gave it a chance to breath from the hair iron and due to that I burned the daylights out of it. I was basically giving myself a crappy haircut with each use of the straightener. I had to leave it to do it’s thing when I started college and maybe it was something about the New York water but my hair began to grow so fast again. I actually can’t believe I left it be like that because in high school I was so worried about making it look perfect and when I went to college I said screw it and let it go natural. I should’ve continued this pattern but I failed and went back to bad habits. It’s been a long in between but I had to do something or I’d be back in the same boat. I’ve been leaving my hair curly as much as possible over the last few months. I believe I straightened it once and that was it. I hated the feel of my hair that day too. I liked it in a picture but that was it. It just didn’t feel right. I like seeing spirals and twists in my hair now. You have to do whatever feels best for you and this is the right move for me.
My routine is as followed :
- Re sink wash in the morning because I noticed that my hair reacts much better under softer pressure of water. I also use slightly cold water.
- Shampoo * not each time * with “Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe “ – it’s got a grainy quality to it and I hated it at first but now I find it’s just right
- Add conditioner which I switch back and forth on – I have a argan conditioner that really works well to get knots out and it was one dollar or I use natural instincts conditioners that come with the color… I have tons of those lying around
- Comb out with conditioner in hair
- Rinse & scrunch up into a tshirt – less friction on hair
- Let sit in shirt for about 10 minutes
- Let down and add a mix of “Not Your Mother’s Kinky Moves Curl Defining Cream” , “TRESemme Flawless Curls Mousse & “Prive Root Amplifier” – ps it smells like tea which is amazing
- Add clips at roots
- Air dry for 10 minutes
Do I know my hair won’t look fantastic all the time? Yes. Do I care that much? No. I am just glad I am using less heat and letting it do it’s natural thing. I always have the option of a bun or updo as a quick fix for off days. I dyed my hair darker today and for the first time my hair actually curled as I was applying the dye rather than sitting like a stick mess so it was nice to see it going back into a bouncy state.
Side notes – I have been trying Jamaican Black Castor Oil from time to time. It is thick on my hair and it’s too early to tell but I’ll post an update if I notice any difference later on.